Problematic Hardware Language

We call the side of a connector that gets inserted the “male” side, and the place that has the connector inserted into the “female” side.  

This happens with plumbing, USB cables, air compressor hose adapters, and pretty much anytime something is being inserted into something else.  

What about changing it to the “inserting” end and the “insertion” end? I’m sure there’s other, much more elegant answers that are more inclusive than what we’ve got now. Why not try for something better? 

PS – For more on my take on language, political correctness, and how words matter, check out this episode of the Inner Monster Podcast.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *